Lead Product Designer
We're looking for our first full-time designer, someone who is an empathetic problem-solver, experienced in product design.
You’ll play a pivotal role in shaping our product and user experience. We expect you to work closely with the product and engineering team owning the user experience and visual design of our products. We’re looking for a senior designer who has a broad set of skills and is comfortable working cross-functionally. Since you'll be the first member of our the design team, you'll have massive ownership of customer relationships, product vision and user experience. This role will involve lots of leverage, lots of impact and lots of responsibility. At the same time, you will NOT have a team of existing designers to provide day-to-day critique, so you will need to be comfortable shipping by yourself. Over time, there will be scope to build and shape a design team.
- You'll be responsible for talking to customers, researching, designing, and prototyping new user experiences.
- Taking big ideas and working collaboratively to evolve them into usable features
- Developing use cases, user journeys, storyboards and wireframes for customer personas
- Deliverables include design mockups, prototyping, production of visual assets, and documentation required for proper implementation.
- You're a natural collaborator and a phenomenal communicator, able to develop and present design ideas in a team environment.
- You'll work closely with cross-functional teams such as Engineering, Product Marketing and Customer Success.
- Prior experience working within a technical environment is a key requirement.
- You should embrace user-centred design principals.
- You have an affinity for consistency, colour use, typography, and a keen eye for subtle details.
- While exercising a good eye for aesthetics, you're able to grasp and distill highly complex issues and translate them into clean, focused, understandable solutions.
- Strong communication skills and ability to stay highly organised is essential.
- Interest in new technologies in web, mobile, and other devices is required.
- You should be a self-starter, self-motivated, able to work independently, and perform multiple tasks under minimal supervision.
We’re a B2B SaaS company building the data platform and tools for a world with a trillion edge devices. We have product–market fit and customers that love us, and we’re growing rapidly in Europe and the US. We raised a $10M Series A at the beginning of the year and have received funding from some of the world’s best investors, including Y Combinator. We're currently >30 people based in our offices, close to Old Street/Clerkenwell.
Our hiring process
We believe three things are important in a hiring process: what we ask you to do during an interview will be as close as possible to what we would ask you to do as part of your job; to provide you with open, honest feedback throughout the process; and to be respectful of your time. As such, our process is:
- A 30 minute phone interview with our Head of Product, where we'll talk a little about Permutive and the role we're hiring for and you'll talk about yourself, your experience and design
- A ~3.5 hour on-site interview, where you'll:
- Spend the first 1.5 hours talking to our Head of Product and Head of Marketing about some of the work in your portfolio, taking us through your thinking and the challenges you faced
- The following 2 hours talking separately to our two co-founders, they'll talk to you about your experience, your approach to product and design and share with you their vision for Permutive
- At this point, if it's appropriate, we'll make an offer
Things we need to see from you
- An excellent online portfolio showcasing user experience (and as a bonus, visual design work) for desktop and touch devices
- Significant experience crafting extraordinary user interface design in digital experiences
- Ability to communicate design concept ideas through sketches and wireframes
- Highly skilled in Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, Invision and other design tools
- Able to function independently and in a team environment
- Enthusiasm for an product-focused, iterative design process, inspired by critique
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
Things we'd like to see from you
- Icon design and 3D experience
- Experience in designing experiences from start to finish as a visual and UI designer
- Previous experience working in data driven products, and data visualisation.